The more I read, the more appalled I become. I understand that eating dog is part of their culture, but the fact that they beat the dog while it's still alive is absolutely unacceptable to me. I would rather eat straight up rice than think that an animal suffered pure agony before it died to go on my plate. Many Koreans vehemenantly deny that this beating takes place anymore and maintain that Korea now holds itself to higher food standards, citing that Korea has even gone so far as to enter into an agreement guaranteeing the world of the humane treatment of animals. I've looked this up and while this is true.. I'd like to point out that a few months ago when hoof and mouth disease was sweeping through Korea, the government responded by burying over 1.4 million pigs alive. I'm pretty sure that says more about this food matter than some silly slip of paper they signed to keep outside nations off of their backs.
This said.. I would like to share a photo that the other American took while traveling this weekend to livestock market.
Furthermore.. I have asked many, many people about the habit of eating cats and been assured many times that they do not do such a thing because cats have souls.
Yeah. That promise seems as empty as that humane animal treatment pledge they signed a while back..
The first two are about the problem of eating cats and dogs here as well as a look at the problem of open air markets for livestock. The last covers the slaughter and live burial of the pigs back in January.
http://www.blogger.com/goog_785501722
http://www.blogger.com/goog_785501722
http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2042942,00.html
Side Note: My spell check does not work on Blogger. Does anyone know how to remedy this?
This was a difficult post for me to read and I don't think I'll click on the links you provided. Despite the fact I hunt and fish (and my husband also traps) and that we raise beef cattle, I have a real soft spot for animals and can't bear the thought of eating dogs and cats. I REALLY can't bear the thought of making them suffer!!
ReplyDeleteRE: spell check. Are you using "blogger in draft" to compose your posts? Mine works there, but seems like it didn't in the "regular" blogger dashboard. Heck, who am I kidding? I'm so old-fashioned I still pull out my real dictionary!
Not sure whether I will click the links either... like Kelly I abhor animal cruelty - we raise beef cattle and are proud of how we handle and care for them.
ReplyDeleteThis kind of thing though, it's hard to get your head around. It'd be nice if everyone in the world had the same attitude but clearly some countries have a long way to go before they achieve what we consider 'acceptable' treatment.
I know I couldn't eat dog when we were in Bali - probably a cultural thing. I couldn't eat horse either.
Hope lots of good stuff is happening too??
:-)
BB
Both first links do not work Cara - and that last link is about stemming foot and mouth disease. (Weird that they didn't shoot them if they had run out of 'euthanasia' drugs.)
ReplyDeleteLots of good stuff is happening. I get really frusterated with the Korean impassiveness towards animals (and sometimes people) but that's just a a small piece of the puzzle. Just like any other country there are always good parts and bad.
ReplyDeleteI'm disappointed those links didn't post, I will have to re-look them up. The last one isn't the one I meant to copy in either, although it does share some the statistic of over 1 million pigs being buried alive. I will have to search them again, I tried to pick the ones with the best sources (CNN, Time.. etc.) But I guess I shouldn't have been trying to paste them in at 2AM. haha.
It is a horrible thing, Sis... but I am glad that you are also focusing on the good. I'm sure they look at us and some of our customs as abhorrent and disgusting, too... just like you said, good and bad in every culture! Enjoy your last few weeks! We love you, miss you, and cannot wait for you to be home! :)
ReplyDelete