Yesterday I took a personal day after class and went to see Harry Potter 7 in theaters. Normally back home I would have been too embarrassed to be seen going alone to a theater. Man do times change. It felt great to take some personal time for something that I enjoy. Afterward I ran into some friends and we headed out to do some dancing and I met people with two absolute opposite lines of thinking. The first was a British young man who was very Anti-American. That's not exactly a rarity around here and I always like to do my best to represent well for my country. He started in on his all American's are simpleton surface individuals who can't think for themselves and kept rattling on, finally finishing with, "and I celebrate every 9/11". I was pretty sorry to hear him say those things and I shared that it is easy to get caught up in generalizations. I catch myself doing it in Korea too. I shared my theory that there are good people every where, in every culture and that when I find myself really upset with Korea, I just picture my friends and their goodness. There wasn't a lot of changing his mind, I already knew that. But it's worthwhile if maybe seeds can be planted for a change in thought later. Anyways, my friends and I kept doing our own thing and eventually I ran into an Army guy from Puerto Rico. We started talking and he shared how glad he was to have this opportunity to serve such a good country. His mom and dad still live in PR and are both deaf and have been unable to find good employment. So he works and sends his money home to keep them going. He was proud of his English and proud of his new country and excited about the places he's been able to go since joining.
People are the most wonderful thing in the world sometimes. They can be hateful and cruel or they can be kind and good through and through. In honesty, I was happy to meet both people last night. They both made me grateful to have what I do. I really believe I might be the luckiest person sometimes.
I guess since my birthday is 9/11 I could have made some snappy comeback to his statement, but it would have fallen on deaf ears, I'm sure. I learned long ago (being from Arkansas) that there are plenty of folks right here in the USA that make judgemental generalizations. Just let me open my mouth and say something and they automatically make assumptions from my accent.
ReplyDeleteThis was a good post and I know your mama is proud of you.
Oh I agree with this = I don't think you EVER stop learning that good and bad inhabit this world. And I guess you get to choose which one you focus your energies on. I know I need to hear about good people on a regular basis. It's what News Channels forget sometimes...
ReplyDelete:-)
BB
That chap was meant to bump into you to take away a little niggle in his conscious to nag at him each time he generalises about Americans.
ReplyDeleteI cannot understand how anyone could celebrate the deaths of others, no matter what their nationality/religion/skin colour or football team :(
Oh, what a horrible thing to say. Of all the Americans to run into, though, I'm glad he ran into you. You are sensible. Some would have broken into an emotional rant, which would have fed quite nicely w/ what the awful Brit already strongly felt. To respond rationally was the right answer. I cannot help believing that he was looking to stir up anger by saying the hateful remarks that he said.
ReplyDeleteI love open hearted people like the young man from PR. I love knowing that there are people in the world like him. ~ love, Mom.