The girls discussed with me all of the places they couldn't wait to take me and my buddy interjected with a lot of "and we can drink soju after"'s. I believe that I have come across the Korean versions of my friends. Anyways, after dinner we all went out to coffee (I suspect because they felt terrible that dinner didn't work well), where my friend asked for my hand... It turns out that he meant he wanted to give me a hand, a phrase he had just learned today (along with "what is cracking?").. I had to explain that when you ask for a girls hand, you are either asking to hold it or marry her, which had all of his sisters dying in laughter.
A very fantastic evening, if I do say so.
The next few days passed quickly and suddenly it was Friday, the day of the big field trip. We visited the Daegaya Theme Park and got a taste of the history of this very small ancient Korean province. And then it was off to another traditional sit down (on the floor) meal with food easier on the chopsticks. They offered forks to the Americans but at this point I was so hell bent on learning to use the chopsticks properly that I would not give in to the urge. We then spent the rest of the afternoon playing on Korean standing swings, stilts, hula hooping, and trying to tightrope walk. I would like to be able to say that I showed everyone up in the hula hoop contest and made America proud.. however, that would be a fib as I couldn't figure out the proper moves to make it for more than a few seconds. It was a great deal of fun, however. Afterwards I took a slight nap on the bus and then it was off to pick some strawberries. This was my first fresh fruit since leaving America and I went nutty. I didn't worry about the pesticides that might be covering them and I did a 1:1 ration on fruit put into my basket and fruit eaten. Not a single regret though, the pesticides didn't seem to kill me.
I had big plans of traveling to Busan this weekend, but had to put them on hold while I try to kick this disgusting cough that I picked up. There's always next weekend, I suppose. And I'm certainly not going to begrudge a relaxing weekend spent in my sweatpants after the lively past few weeks I've had.
Anyways, that's where I'm at.
<3 you
Cara
We hosted a South Korean exchange student in 2006. We enjoyed learning his customs, as he did ours. If you were closer to Seoul I would try and get you in touch with him.
ReplyDeletePesticides were not the big deal when I was there. It was night soil.
ReplyDeleteDylan and Brittani and Brianna and Buddy and William were all here tonight. Brianna and Buddy just left.