Monday, March 28, 2011

Never again will I mention, "The Dog Days of Summer..."


Today we talked about the dog days of summer.  No, literally.. The three hottest days of summer when you should eat dog.  We also discussed the preparation of the dog meat prior to consumption.  It involves beating the dog while it's still alive to tendorize the meat.  Although the dogs that are eaten are raised as food dogs and not pet dogs, I have serious issue with the beating of them with mallets while they are still alive.  They might not answer to Fido, or have a cute sparkly rhinestone collar, but I'm sure they cry like a dog.  And at the end of the day, there's not a lot of difference between Fido back home and these poor puppies...  Except that you treat these dogs poorly.

landscape image 4
Large yellow colored dogs are considered best for eating..

One of us in the class decided not to eat dog while she was here... Can you guess which one of us that could be?


Yes, you've guessed correctly, it was me.  (Although I'm sure Buck would have had his reservations about the whole ordeal as well.)  You can call me a conscientious objector to the war on dog terror.  Throughout the entire lecture, I did have this overwhelming urge to start singing that song by Florence and the Machine wildly, "the doggg days are overrrrr, the doggg days are done!" But it did not give me the urge to eat dog in the least.  It kind of broke my heart, to be honest. 

Despite my lack of adventure in the category of food, I have decided that I am very interested in trying the fried silkworms.  The taste sounds delightful if you can just get past the look. 

I will let you know how that food experiement works out.

On an unrelated note, Mr. Canada informed the class that there is a 25% chance that he might die soon, as his arm lymph node has moved to his ear.  Yes.  I wrote that correctly.   To his ear.  I suppose if I were an armpit lymph node I would consider relocating to a more happening place as well, however, I'm not entirely sure that's medically possible. 

I sincerely hope you survives this lymph node vacation, as class without a crazy-pants would just be... well, just class. 

3 comments:

  1. Oh, my gosh. That is just sickening. Just sickening. Don't eat dog meat. Even on accident.

    Let's hope Mr. Crazy Pants doesn't have anything else relocating. Say his big toe decided to relocate to his chin...Well. That would certainly liven up class now, wouldn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh hell no. Hell. No. It would be Silence of the Lambs, Dog Edition in my head if I ever even thought about eating a pupper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forgot to mention that the handout for this lecture was entitled, "how much is that doggie on the menu." Turns out, possibly not the time for an interjection of wit, is what I noticed.

    ReplyDelete